Categories
Avalanche Training Backcountry Mountain Culture Mountaineering News Ski Touring Uncategorized

Busy AST season

We are well on our way through a very busy Avalanche Skills Training season. Subscription to all courses, AST 1 & 2, as well as CRS has been brisk. Conditions have been generally good, quite mild(until now) for most of the winter.

Perfect ski touring conditions
Thank you so much again for the amazing course. I learned so much from you guys, can’t wait to put those skills to use in the backcountry.” Jessica

We had amazing conditions in the Coquihalla for our AST 2 course this past weekend, over 100cms of storm snow, very light winds and moderate temps. Snowpack was a bit spicy, had to select conservative terrain.

You will definitely see me on another course next year with you. Thx. Amanda

I was surprised, given the dodgey road conditions, how many folks actually ventured out to the Coquihalla on the weekend. Avalanche Canada’s MIN report was lit up. Ride safe out there.

Categories
Avalanche Training Backcountry Mountain Culture Mountaineering News Ski Touring

What Will Winter Courses & Ski Touring Look Like

It’s been hitting the high 30’s in Kamloops nearly everyday since the middle of July, so it’s hard to think about ski touring and avalanche courses. But winter really is just around the corner. We are all wondering how the Covid-19 pandemic, and the resulting, necessary measures to combat the spread of the virus will affect our winter activities.

I am very confident that we can deliver the Avalanche Skills Training 1 & 2, and Companion Rescue Skills course in an effective and enjoyable fashion, while meeting all the requirements set up by WorkSafeBC, the Provincial Health Office and the BC Centre for Disease Control. The classroom portion of all courses will be delivered online, and all necessary protocols will be employed during the field portions of the courses. Our courses nearly always run at capacity, so sign-up early.

I have decided to hit the pause button on any ski touring trips, at least for the time being. I prefer to wait and see if, and how the 2nd or 3rd wave of the pandemic manifests itself. I am going to try and run our very popular AST 2+ course, but only if I am completely confident if can be done in an safe manner. I will make a decision on that in early October.

Take good care, Brad